Sunday, July 8, 2007

We've arrived in Pokuse.

It's hard to describe. I'm not sure I can do it justice. It's a villiage. It's a right off the main road between Accra and Mombasa. ONe you get off the main road, you find a dirt road where are people around selling things from wooden shacks. They are living close by. We are staying at a nice guest house close by.

Right outside my guest house is the Catholic church. St. Sylanus. I honestly thought it was a half completed buidling, because of the beams and holding up the roof and only half walls.

Come Sunday morning, I stepped out of my guest house and walked right in to the church with it's colorful rows of plastic chairs. People were so friendly and shared their hymnal. They sang a lot from it.

It was a bilingual mass both in the local language Twee and English. It was interesting. The music was great. The choir was amazing and used alot of african drums. I recognized some of the songs that we sing at all Catholic churches. Allelua and Hosanna . IT was great because I could sing along.

My favorite part was durin gthe collection when I followed the crowd to bring up my offering. The line up was dancing to the african music and I had to dance up to in the line.

FYI Like most Catholic churches they reported how much money they collected the week before. They collected about $120 dollars. There must have been over 500 people at this church. Think about the last time you spend $100. Kind of blows your mind.

Next week is a big festival at the church because it's their first anniversary in their new building. I can't wait to see it.They say there will be music and food and dance.

I don't have internet access regularly, but I'll try when I can.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kath,
what a wonderful opportunity to visit the churches. I can just see you dancing up the isle to give your donation. I loved hearing about it.
love,Mmom

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathleen -- I'm so enjoying reading your posts. Your observations are wonderful. As the Quakers around me say, I will continue to hold you in the light.

Cousin Clare

Anonymous said...

Hi kathy-
LOVE your journaling-it is wonderful and exciting! Can't wait to hear more.
your fan,
Sandi
P.S. i'm trying to figure out how to send this-the registry is in French--you may get multiples of this?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kathy. I think I've heard you use that "I like your shoes" line! I smile when I think of you dancing for communion and I wish you well. Faith sends her love!

Peace,
Susanne

bjkeefe said...

Ah, crap. "Twee" was one of my favorite putdown words, which I used to characterize things like the more treacly stories on NPR. Looks like I'll have to come up with a new one.

Anonymous said...

Super descriptions Kath! Sounds like an adventure to remember. Count me as one of your fans!

Kathy said...

thanks!