Monday, July 16, 2007

walk into the village

It's been a really interesting week. It's an amazing experience to wake up and realize I'm in AFrica. Not a fake African back drop, but actually Africa. I keep thinking about the Woodland Park zoo in Seattle where they have an Africa village set up and you walk through the set up school to see the girafees. Every morning, I keep thinking I'm going to walk past the scene and go see some penguins at the penguin pool.

When I walk into the village in the morning, I see stalls with merchants (traders) in them . They are selling food, a variety, which includes, fried bread, tomatoes, greens, peppers. People are heading off to work in Accra and are wearing street clothes. Many of the women are wearing african print dressess.

People are very friendly and yell out to me. Oblanee! (White girl) I greet them with Etesay? (how are you?_) They are surprised and say , I yah. I"m fine and ask me how am I say , I yah. They laugh and laugh and laugh at me.

No comments: