Monday, July 16, 2007

This first week working for Women's Trust, I spent observing the village. I've taken a special look at schools and education because of my interest and my background as a teacher.

I think the on of most shocking thing I've seen is the condition of the school. There are not lights. It's lite by the open air. Each grade is in one class. I observed one public school class that had 97 kids in the classroom. 30 kids could probably sit comfortable. They were tripled up and standing in a dark damp classroom. There are hardly any text books. BTW it costs $70 a year for child to go to that school and a lot of folks can't afford it.

More later.

BTW. Thanks so much for the comments. They really make me feel supported. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, thank you so much for the beautiful images on your journey so far! The Shermans were preaching at St. T's this weekend and I was thinking of you while hearing their stories of being strangers to a new community in a different country. Much love, Karen

Kathy said...

Thanks Karen.
Your comment has had me thinking all week. I would have loved to hear the Sherman's homily. Peace.

bjkeefe said...

I observed one public school class that had 97 kids in the classroom. 30 kids could probably sit comfortable. They were tripled up and standing in a dark damp classroom.

Sounds like the state university I went to. ;^)