Sunday, July 8, 2007

How to charm a two year old.

One of my favorite things I did in Accra was visit the Cathedral in the city. It was pretty small, empty and dark. It looked like a big old church that has seen a lot of incense. The only unusual thing was the two large school clocks hanging on either side of the altar. BTW, they were a few minutes off from each other. One read, 3: 10 and one read 3:12. It was just a little odd. It was during the week day so no one was around.

I started talking to a young boy about 10 or so, about what time church was and his little sister who must have been 2 was staring up at me. I talked to the little girl like every two year old I talk to, I hold out my hand and say.. hi I'm Kathy , what's your name? They usually reach out their hands and say something, and then I tell them I like their shoes.

It works every time to charm a two year old. It works with two years in New Jersey, in california , in SEattle, in Nicaragua and in Ghana and if my theory holds true the entire globe.

It worked on this two year old and she kept staring at me and her brother kept trying to get her to leave and then the mom tried with no luck. She would not budge. She was on me like glue. It took quite a while to pry her away from me.

Kath

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kath,

I love that you have two year olds following you on every continent! Keep sharing the stories, they're great to read.

Be well,
Rona

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathy,

We like the story and imagining you in the old church with a 2 year old who won't budge!

The 2 year old story was funny! How are you? We miss you. On Saturday we had a sleepover and it was fun because we did a treasure hunt.

Kathy and Anya

Kathy said...

Rona!
I can't believe Emily emailed you. It is such a small world.
K

Kathy said...

Hi Anya!!Say hi to Patrick, Mojo ,Kathy and Leo.
K