Monday, August 6, 2007

Cooperative Learning in Ghana

Last Thurday, I had the opportunity to teach the science class for girls class. It's a very basic science curriculum. We talked about observations and inquiry. (asking questions)

I modified the curriculum to cooperative learning techniques as the activities. I loved it and I think the girls did. Girls were working in groups, interviewing each other, and we did a gallery walk! (That's when you have , in that pictures they had drawn on the wall , and walk around quietly with partner and discussed and gathered info to present.) We even changed the desk that were in rows, to fit group work. I don't think the girls know what actually happened.

I have to let you know that for Ghana, it's been my observation, that group work and cooperative learning techniques aren't happening here. All the schools, I've observed have used the 'old British' style" (teacher standing in the front of the room, demanding the children learn, through lecture and reinforced with threats and physcial punishment.)

So, I take them through this lesson and the girls are a little hesitant, but they soon loosen up and relax. There were able to no only hear about the topic of observing and inquiry, but use it and discuss it for themselves. for about an hour.

I think the funny part came at the end of the class, they all sat in their desks, which were in a circle and seemed to be waiting the "real class" to start. (Real class meaning the yelling and threatening.)

2 comments:

bjkeefe said...

I'm generally in favor of classes being reformed so that they are less pupils being talked at by teachers, but at some point, we have to agree that the reason that the pupils are there is because they don't know much about the topic. Science classes are a particularly good example of this, which is why is drives me so crazy when politicians punt on the evolution/creationism question, and instead say. "Teach the controversy! Let the students decided for themselves!"

What's next, voting on the times tables?

A science class can be made participatory when experiments are being done, but really. Sometimes, you just have to accept that you know nothing, and that's why you're in the class, listening to someone who (it is to be hoped) does.

A pet peeve of mine.

Kathy said...

Brendan, you'll love this.. To the best of my knowledge, in the public school they are not taught evolution. They skirt around the issue, and just don't mention evolution.

I found this out when a friend was interviewing the teachers who will teach the curriculum. My friend had to explain evolution to the 25 year old teacher. He didn't realize there was even a debate. We in the US at least have the debate. Can you image the surprise the teacher had to realize there's another view other than the Genesis story.

PS. We will teach evolution in the curriculum.