Sunday, August 26, 2007

Using sign in Accra

One of the observations I've made whilein Ghana is that if you are a person who lives in Ghana that has any kind of disablity you really have limited choices in your life.


One experience had me have encounter with a deaf man. He was actually not begging but as I was leaving my hotel for the airport he was a local who helped me carry my stuff out. i had notice that he was deaf early when i was waiting. After he carried my stuff, I signed to him, thank you , in my limited ASL I signed that I knew a littel and I signed my name and he told me his (Albert)(I think ) and chatted just some niceties He lit right up and I actally wanted to talk to him more but was wisked into the cab. Later , I kept thinking about if Albert has anyone who communicates with him in his language on a regular basis. He wasn't exactly treated kindly by the taxi driver, who he seemed to know Albert.

I had forgotten to tip Albert, so as I was dropped at a hotel closer to the airport, I gave the taxi driver a tip to give to Albert , showed the drive how to say Thank you in sign and had the driver practice the sign. Whether, the taxi driver actually gives Albert the tip, I don't know, but maybe the driver will use at least the sign with him.

3 comments:

cheap flights to accra ghana said...

I also observe this kind of worst bad attitude by the people with the disable persons when i traveled to accra through Cheap Flights to Accra.

cheap flights to ghana said...

your site is very nice and beautiful . Your Articles Is Good .
thank"s for sharing .

Unknown said...

Although i have no experience about Ghana flights but its my best experience when i took cheap flights to Pakistan the people of Pakistan are too much helpful and lovely.