Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Women's Trust

My internship is an elective for my graduate program at Seattle University. I'm taking it to complete my Masters in Education program.

My placement is at a small NGO called Women's Trust. They organize microcredit loans to women. Myself and two other classmates from SU will be evaluating the microfinance program. Web site: http://www.womenstrust.org/

Women's Trust is located in Pokuasa, just north of Accra.

After 5 weeks, in Ghana, I take a short trip to Kenya with a professor from Seattle University and a local Seattle business women. We will be visiting a village outside of Nairobi, Kenya to evaluate if it's an appropriate place to start a new microfinance program.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kathy, this internship at a microfinance outfit sounds great. A very worthwhile enterprise. Hope you will be able to blog us several times. Be sure to leave your name with the people there so that next year when I have a student doing research on microfin in W.Africa, I can write to Women's Trust and drop your name. Qualitative research seems quite necessary when studying microfinance, as two of my best students found out last year. Contacts help.

See you this Thurs/Friday, shortly before you pop off 1/3 of a world away. You can leave your Seattle-Berkeley sweaters here.... May not need them in Accra+.

Dave.

Kathy said...

It's amazing how much room there is in a suitcase when you don't have to worry about sweaters.